Regular dental teeth cleanings are an essential aspect of oral hygiene that help to maintain the overall health and appearance of your teeth and gums. These procedures, also known as dental prophylaxis or teeth scaling, involve the removal of plaque, tartar, and stains from the surfaces of the teeth.
A dental hygienist or a dentist typically performs them, which can be done in a dental office or at home by a mobile dental hygienist with special cleaning products.
There are many benefits to regular dental teeth cleanings, both for your teeth and overall health. Here are just a few:
- Prevention of cavities and gum disease: Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that constantly forms on the surfaces of the teeth. If it is not removed, it can harden into tartar, which can only be removed by a dental professional. Plaque and tartar can lead to tooth decay and gum disease, which can cause tooth loss and other serious health problems. Dental teeth cleanings help to remove these substances and prevent the development of these conditions.
- Fresher breath: Bad breath, or halitosis, is often caused by bacteria that build up on the tongue, teeth, and gums. Teeth cleanings help to remove this bacteria and freshen your breath.
- Better overall health: Gum disease has been linked to several severe health conditions, including stroke, heart disease, and diabetes. By getting regular dental teeth cleanings, you can help to prevent gum disease and reduce your risk of these health problems.
- Improved appearance: Dental Teeth cleanings can help to remove stains and discoloration from the surfaces of the teeth, giving you a brighter, more attractive smile.
- Enhanced self-esteem: A healthy, attractive smile can boost self-esteem and confidence. By taking care of your teeth through regular cleanings, you can feel more confident in social situations and your personal life.
It is recommended that adults get teeth cleanings at least twice a year, although some people may need them more frequently depending on their oral hygiene habits and the state of their teeth and gums. An example of people needing more teeth cleanings include seniors confined to their homes or having difficulty going to the dentist.
Children and teenagers may also require frequent cleanings due to their developing teeth and the tendency for cavities to form during these years.
During a dental teeth cleaning, a dental hygienist or dentist will use various tools to remove plaque, tartar, and stains from the teeth. These tools may include a small mirror, scaler, and toothbrush. The hygienist or dentist may also use a special cleaning solution to help loosen plaque and tartar.
After the teeth have been thoroughly cleaned, the hygienist or dentist will floss between the teeth to remove any remaining debris. They may also apply a fluoride treatment to help strengthen the teeth and prevent cavities.
Dental teeth cleanings are generally safe and relatively painless. However, you may experience some discomfort during the cleaning process if you have sensitive teeth or gums. Be sure to let your dental professional know if you have any sensitivity issues so that they can take appropriate precautions.
Have a difficult time getting to the dentist? Consider working with a mobile dental hygienist.
Working with a mobile dental hygienist can be particularly helpful for seniors who may have difficulty getting to a traditional dental office due to physical limitations, transportation issues, or other challenges.
Here are a few benefits of working with a mobile dental hygienist for dental teeth cleanings for seniors:
- Convenience: Mobile dental hygienists can come to a senior’s home, independent living facility, or assisted living facility in providing dental teeth cleanings and other dental services. Working with a mobile dental hygienist can be especially helpful for seniors with mobility issues or who cannot drive.
- Comfort: For some seniors, going to a dental office can be intimidating or anxiety-provoking. A mobile dental hygienist can provide services in a familiar and comfortable setting, which can help to alleviate some of these fears.
- Access to care: Some seniors may live in rural or underserved areas where dental care is limited. A mobile dental hygienist can bring dental services directly to these seniors, ensuring they have access to the critical dental care they need.
- Personalized attention: A mobile dental hygienist can provide one-on-one care and attention to a senior, answering questions and addressing any concerns they may have. One-on-one care benefits seniors with complex dental needs or who require additional support due to cognitive or physical limitations.
It is important to note that mobile dental hygienists are typically unable to perform more complex dental procedures, such as extractions or root canals. However, they can provide various preventive and maintenance services, including teeth cleanings, fluoride treatments, and dental exams.
If you are a senior or caregiver for a senior and are interested in working with a mobile dental hygienist for dental teeth cleanings or other dental services, it is imperative to do your research and choose a reputable mobile dental hygienist.
You will want a licensed mobile dental hygienist with experience working with seniors. Ask for references or check online reviews to get a sense of the provider’s reputation and quality of care.
In conclusion, regular dental teeth cleanings are an essential part of oral hygiene that can help to prevent cavities, gum disease, and other serious health problems. They can also improve appearance and freshen the breath, boosting self-esteem, attitude and confidence.
With the availability of a mobile dental hygienist that can provide in-home dental services, you can now ensure that your elderly loved one can always receive the dental care they need.
Therefore, it is recommended that adults get dental teeth cleanings at least twice a year. Seniors, children, and teenagers may need them more frequently. These procedures are generally safe and relatively painless, and a mobile dental hygienist can perform them at home.
If you are a senior or caregiver for a senior and are looking for a mobile dental hygienist for teeth cleanings or other dental services contact us today.